Wednesday, November 15, 2006

sap-o-meter straight to ten


I made a very solemn promise to myself that I wouldn't bug all of you with a blog every time I convinced myself that I was ambulatory, but I have actually received requests for more stories of pain and suffering.....

On the eve of what is my second race, (5K Breast Cancer Race) I reflected during my training run today. I'm up to about 4.5 miles. The first 1.5 are like torture but after that it's as if the god Hermes himself, sends down a pair of his winged shoes and I take off. If he'd like to attach a handbag to that, I wouldn't stick my nose up.

I noticed a woman, this is no joke and no exaggeration involved , I swear: not a day over 65, missed the last few hair appointments, boobies to her knees, sporting a neon pink shirt proudly expressing the fact that she is a "GOOD KISSER". It took everything I had not to yell out, "me too" or "prove it" as I ran past. I believe if you advertise it, you had better be. Lots of mommies with strollers. No Gazelle in sight. I think I may have scared her off with my running prowess.

I also noticed I clench both of my hands. My right hand is always clenched like Bob Dole. I know you remember the hand with the pen. So help me if you send an email about how he is a war hero. I could possibly do better in a Presidential election too. It's OK, I'm a Republican, I can throw stones. My left hand is clutching my IPOD, which broke possibly due to my super human strength, like Charlton Heston with a rifle at an NRA rally. I fight the urge to raise my IPOD and spit "From my cold dead hands" almost every ten minutes. It makes me laugh, which is a change from stopping to cry. (See photo, notice hands, this is a photo from last year!)

Don't believe for one second that I'm Flo Jo, but now I can enjoy my time plunking away at the pavement.

I did almost start to cry today, (sap-o-meter straight to ten) when I saw two women obviously tired, walking, decked out in all of their Breast Cancer garb. The Breast Cancer three day is very soon and when my eyes were opened to these ladies I started to see more and more during my run today. Everyone out this morning was walking for Breast Cancer, a jogger in the mix every once in a while. I figured "my" ladies needed a boost so when I passed them I blurted out "Great job ladies, keep it up!" Not surprisingly they hollered back "Hey.... You too!" ( I raised my IPOD in the air. tee-hee)

Tonight before bed, do me a little favor. Pick a person with breasts to think about all day tomorrow. Send out good thoughts. (Men have breasts too.) Also send a special thought to my pal Chris. He's running for his mom and tomorrow will be a very hard day for him. His mom is an angel that watches over his children, so I'm told. I'm running for Patty Plumbleigh. She is the angel that makes the flowers bloom in spring. I always think of her in April. If you live in the Midwest or East you know what I'm talking about. She brings that little rush of joy when you notice your first spring flower, no more snow! I think of her often, powerful, considering I only met her a handful of times.

Enough sap for today. I'll write again soon with my post times. Last year I ran a 5K in 36 minutes... I hope to shave off some of that time.

Be good to your breasts. (Shout out to my favorite three day walker Bethany Zabrosky)

No comments: